Friday, January 4, 2013

Yeast Lords Wheat

Just started a partial mash batch the other day. Here is the recipe:

5lbs Pale Malt
2lbs Wheat
2.5lbs Wheat DME
.5lbs rolled oats
1lb honey
1oz Helga pellet hops
zest of one navel orange
3 oz of dried cranberries
1 oz coriander
2tsp Irish moss

OG: 1.060

I used my 21qt pot to heat the grains and held them at 155 degrees for an hour. Then I "mashed out" at 170 for 15 minutes. I used the bucket in a bucket method to strain the grains - but got stuck quite a few times (don't use a food processor to crush barley). After running the wort through the grains a painful amount of times I sparged with a gallon of 160 degree water.

Then onto the boil.

At 65 minutes I added 2lbs of DME.

At 60 minutes the whole ounce of Helga hops went in. They are from New Zealand and I read that they are similar to Hallertau. Figured I'd give 'em a shot.

I added nothing until 15 when the Irish moss went in.

I made a "teabag" out of a coffee filter for the coriander, which was freshly ground from seed in a coffee grinder. At 10 minutes or so I let it float around in the wort.

At 7 minutes I dumped the cranberries in.

At 5 minutes in went the zest. The wort really started smelling nice at this point.

After flameout I poured in the honey.

When I took the original gravity I only got 1.045 - which was lower than I wanted so I heated up some DME and added the .5lbs. It then read 1.060.

It's in the primary now. I used Danstar's Munich Wheat and that stuff is crazy powerful. It was aggressively fermenting for the first 10-24 hours and now it has calmed down a bit. I estimate that it will be done fermenting in a few days and I'll be able to put it in the secondary. I have quite a bit of sediment - as it is my first step away from extract brewing. If I get impatient I will just let it secondary in the keg - and hopefully this time my future brother in law won't get a large cup of yeast when he pours a beer!

No comments:

Post a Comment