Saturday, January 12, 2013

Sierra's Oatmeal Stout

So I guess I'm not sure if I made a stout or porter. I'll just have to wait until it is done and see which it tastes closer to.

UPDATE: It's a stout.

Historically, stouts and porters were very similar; stouts in fact were only "very strong" porters.

5 lbs Maris Otter
2 lbs Pale 2 row
1 lb Chocolate malt
1.5 lb Wheat DME
.5 lb Oatmeal
1 lb Crystal
.5 oz Nugget - 60 min
.5 oz Nugget - 30 min
.25 oz Mt hood - 15 min
.25 oz Mt hood - 5 min
.5 oz Mt hood - 0 min
Wyeast Scottish Ale yeast
Sweet buffalo tap water

I used my new corona-style grain mill and it worked way, way, way, way, better than a rolling pin or food processor. I used a bucket in a bucket as a lauter tun and had similar problems with too thick of a grain bed. I'm going to make a better one out of a rectangular cooler.

I also decided to try tap water for a change. I've heard mixed reviews on Buffalo tap water for brewing but wanted to give it a shot.

Also the yeast was a first for me. The liquid slap pack was fun and it also works as low as 55 degrees. This allowed me to utilize my new setup brew room in my basement.

Up next: a "lighter" beer.



Well I think it turned out alright. It tastes oddly similar to Guinness - I think the hop combination I used must be similar. Also the head on it is nice and light colored like a Guinness.

It's got a nice bitter bite - but not too much. The color looks great now that it has cleared up a bit in the keg. It is super dark but not totally opaque. You get a nice ruby color when light shines through it.

I served a few pitchers of this batch at my neighbor's party last night and I got a lot of compliments - including from a few homebrewers! I'm gonna have to keep at this brewing thing.

Anyone have any thoughts as to what I should brew next?

No comments:

Post a Comment