Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Old Zealand Pale Ale

Tomorrow afternoon I will kick off brewing season with a great pale ale. Tonight I'm farting around with the recipe - I think it will go something like:

Base malt: Maris Otter (regarded as the best base malt for ales by many) and Munich (German malty base malt - added in many american ales for complexity).

Specialty malt: Crystal 40L (medium caramel malt flavor, body, head retention - a staple in most pale ales).

Hops: All NZ hops (for no good reason) - Green Bullet (the original NZ hop - a classic hop in their beers), Pacifica (hallertauer type hop), and Wai Iti (newer style hop - citrusy and delicious). I'll probably do a blend of these hops for bittering, flavor, aroma, and dry hop additions. Should showcase these hops well.

Yeast: My personal favorite - Scottish Ale yeast (it's Freakin' huge!). It's a great all around yeast that emphasizes the malts and leaves a slightly sweet finish on most beers. I'm thinking it will pair great with all of the hops.

I'm really excited to brew this beer - I've always loved pale ales as they introduced me to the world of craft beer (Saranac Pale Ale, Sierra Nevada Pale, etc.). While I'm a small-time brewer I figured I'd throw in these rare hops - as they are tough to find in large quantities.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow - I'll probably get going around 2pm and go until 6-7pm. Either on my front porch or in the back yard.



No comments:

Post a Comment