Saturday, February 2, 2013

Tellskapelle Cider

At the request of non-beer drinkers, I am making a delicious hard cider for our recreational consumption.

Pretty easy recipe:

4 gallons 100% apple juice, preservative free
1/2 lb brown sugar
cinnamon
ginger
Scottish ale yeast
Wyeast cider yeast nutrient


Many people either heat up their juice to 180 degrees to kill off wild yeasts - or allow these wild yeasts to be the primary fermentation source - and not heat nor add any yeast at all. I chose to not heat up the juice - but I added some strong ale yeast with nutrient so that it would (hopefully) be the main source of fermentation.

I'm brewing up a 4 gallon batch and I must say that it was pretty easy to do. Just put juice in a fermenter, add adjuncts (if desired), and add yeast (if desired). Place fermenter someplace and wait 2 weeks or so. Then secondary ferment for another 4 weeks. Then carbonate for 3 weeks. Then drink. Done.




No comments:

Post a Comment